Wednesday, February 02, 2011

What's For Dinner

I am always searching for meals that my family will eat. I really enjoy cooking, but didn’t have the time to do much of it when I was working full-time. So, I have been cooking quite a bit over the last two months and I thought I would share some of the recipes I’ve tried recently…

PW Jan’s Dilly Bread
This was the first time I’ve ever made bread. It was good and I would make it again. Don’t tell my husband it had cottage cheese in it…

PW Tortilla Soup
I love tortilla soup and I would definitely make this again!

PW Coq au Vin
Meh – This actually wasn’t great. Mine ended up pretty oily and my house smelled like bacon for a few days – not my favorite smell…

PW Chicken Scallopine
Loved this! I made it for New Year’s Eve and it got rave reviews. I added capers to my sauce and it improved the flavor. I also adjusted the recipe slightly to make it gluten-free. I would definitely make this again!

PW Three Cheese Stuffed Shells with Meaty Tomato Sauce
I made this for dinner with an old friend and her family. I added some spinach to the cheese filling (I frequently do this with lasagna too), and it turned out well. I make this again.

Warm Steak and Potato Salad
This was delicious and is a great meal for entertaining. Filling, but not too heavy. I served it with French bread and shrimp stuffed mushrooms (my own recipe).

Beer Bread
This bread turned out well. I added a little bit of sour cream and some sharp cheddar cheese. As my sister said, it made her house smell like sweaty gym socks, but the end result was worth it. As you will see in the recipe, the bread is best on the first day, so I wouldn’t make this again unless I had some hungry people on hand – I have half a loaf still in my freezer and it’s not great reheated.

How about you? What’s for dinner at your house today?

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I love the Pioneer Woman blog, she has such great recipes!! Here's a few the online recipes we eat regularly:

Honey Glazed Chicken (I usually make it with chicken breast only, and sometimes I leave out the curry)
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Honey-Glazed-Chicken

Pepperoni Pizza Twist from Leah McKinney's Blog (I just tried this last week and it is really good)
http://avenuesmom.wordpress.com/2010/08/05/pepperoni-pizza-twist/

Kay's Parmesan Crusted Chicken - used to be on the Pioneer Woman's blog but is gone. If you don't have the recipe and want it let me know!

Chicken and Bacon Shish Kabobs (I got this recipe from Leah as well, it's really good!)
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chicken-and-bacon-shish-kabobs/Detail.aspx

I'm gonna have to try out a few of the ones you suggested. I'm always searching for new, yummy recipes. Thanks!

Lynda Lou said...

Hey Carolyn, I started a new blog! Come check it out when you have a chance.